м. Київ, вул. Васильківська, 28
The specifics of the transportation of animals

Different countries have different rules for the import of animals, governing the procedure for the import of animals into a given territory. All these rules and the corresponding requirements can be found in the embassy or consulate of the respective country. Here are some of the features:

  • the importation of fighting dogs is prohibited in certain countries (for example, in Hungary)
  • in many EU countries, the place of quarantine in specialized organizations (for example, in the UK quarantine lasts 6 months)
  • it is forbidden to import kittens and puppies into the EU countries under 4 months of age.

1. Identification.

All animals must be identified with a microchip or a clearly visible tattoo, if the microchip does not meet international standards (ISO 11784 or ISO 11785), you must have a chip reader with you. Since July 2011, a microchip is the only way of identification. The animal must be identified before being vaccinated against rabies.

2. Veterinary passport of international standard.

When transporting an animal, it is necessary to issue a passport for her, which contains information about the animal and records of vaccinations. If you are planning to travel with an animal to EU countries in the future, a passport in Ukraine must be made in accordance with the requirement of EU Regulation 577/2013. Passports are issued in 2 languages: English and the language of the country of origin. Since July 2004, all vaccinations are recorded in the passport. Vaccination labels with the vaccine number must be glued in the passport. These stickers must be redeemed with a veterinarian stamp on the mandatory date of vaccination. The right column must contain the doctor’s signature and personal seal. Particular attention should be paid to vaccination against rabies.

The passport contains data on the chip number with the date, signature of the veterinarian and the seal of the veterinary institution or veterinarian who performed the procedure and indicating the location of the microchip.

Marks are put on the treatment of worms and external parasites in animals.

The passport is issued by your veterinarian.

(Photo of the animal, if it has reached 1 year old, must also be certified by a veterinary clinic or a cinema (felino) club).

Above the photo of the animal in the passport, there must be a label with the chip number (electronic identifier).

3. Vaccination.

The animal should be vaccinated against rabies with an inactivated vaccine containing at least one antigen unit per vaccination. Vaccinations or revaccinations are carried out in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.

4. rabies serological test (rabies neutralization test).

An anti-rabies antibody titer test must be done before transporting the animal.

Blood for analysis must be taken by a certified veterinarian, at least 30 days after vaccination and 3 months before the animal is brought into the European Union.

This test is carried out in laboratories recognized by the European Union. A list of such laboratories, for European and non-European countries, can be found on the website of the European Commission.

The virus neutralization rate should be at least 0.5 IU / ml or more.

This test does not need to be repeated if the animal is regularly revaccinated according to the vaccine instructions for use.

If these rules are not followed, then it is necessary to retest after re-vaccination. If the country of origin of the animal is an EU country and the neutralization test was done before leaving the EU, then there is no need to wait 3 months after taking the blood to return to the EU. When transporting an animal, the owner must have an animal passport with him, which contains all the marks on vaccinations and tests and their results.

5. Veterinary certificate form 1-BET.

The main document giving the right to transport an animal or bird (it is necessary not only when crossing the border, but also when traveling by train, car and plane in Ukraine) is a veterinary certificate (Form 1), which is exchanged for an international veterinary certificate at the state border, state service of veterinary medicine at the border and transport. For the CIS countries, the form 1-BET (CIS) is issued, completed in Russian.

Veterinary certificate Form 1-BET may be issued to animal owners only in a state institution and only if there is a veterinary passport (certificate) for the animal, indicating the dates of vaccinations and the names of vaccines. Form 1-BET is issued by the state service of veterinary medicine no earlier than 3 days before the animal leaves the country on the basis of the examination of the animal and upon presentation of the animal’s passport.

All necessary vaccinations must be made no earlier than one year and no later than one month before departure.

6. Veterinary certificate.

The import of cats or dogs into the EU requires a veterinary certificate (EU Regulation 577/2013), which is issued by the official veterinarian of the relevant state (in Ukraine, it is issued by the veterinary service at the veterinary control points at the border and transport). Such a certificate certifies that the animal is properly identified and vaccinated against rabies in accordance with EU Regulation 576/2013.

The international veterinary certificate must be correctly drawn up and therefore require veterinary specialists at the border control veterinary point to fill out a passport in English, for Germany, German.

7. Deworming and insect-acaricidal treatment of animals.

Проводится сертифицированными препаратами за 24-48 часов до вылета. Кроме этого, дегельминтизация должна проводиться систематически раз в 3-4 месяца, о чем должны быть соответствующие записи в ветеринарном паспорте. Советуем использовать вакцины и препараты для дегельминтизации и инсекто-акарицидных обработок препаратами, изготовленными в той стране, которую Вы собираетесь посетить вместе с животным – Merial, FrontLine Combo, France Bayer, Advocate, German Bioveta, TOP SPOT ON, Czech Republic Pfizer, Stronghold, USA FORT DODGE, ProMeris Duo, USA АВЗ.

8. Certificate that the animal does not represent breeding value.

Drawn up in any form.

Sometimes at the state border there are questions about the breeding value of an animal, and therefore, try to get a certificate in advance from the canine organization that your animal does not represent breeding value or will simply go to the exhibition. The certificate can only be issued by a specialist cynologist of an officially registered cynological organization. An export permit and a certificate stating that the animal does not represent breeding value must be carried at any border crossing – no matter how long you go to another country. Dog owners should contact one of the cynological organizations in Ukraine.

Certificate of the breeding value of the animal, indicating its estimated value (issued when leaving for permanent residence or for presentation upon request).