м. Київ, вул. Васильківська, 28
How to travel abroad with a dog or cat?

How to travel abroad with a dog or cat?

The desire to travel abroad with the whole family often poses the problem of transporting a dog or cat across the border for pet lovers.

In order to travel abroad for pets, you must fulfill a number of requirements. This procedure is governed by the rules for the export of animals from Ukraine and the transport of dogs and cats between the member states of the European Community and other countries.

Conditions for exporting cats, dogs, ferrets and decorative animals abroad:

1. Veterinary passport of international standard (numbered).

The veterinary passport must contain:

  • – note on comprehensive vaccination against viral diseases. The last vaccination must be carried out no later than 30 days and no earlier than 12 months before the departure date;
  • – photo animals until they reach the age of 12 months;
  • – отметку о чипирование с указанием даты чипирование и локализации микрочипа;
  • – rabies vaccination mark (name of vaccine, signature, seal, date);
  • – information on treatment against ecto- and endoparasites (against fleas and worms).

2. Identification of animals with a stamp or microchip.

Chipped (or tattooed) earlier (or on the same day, but not later) than the rabies vaccination was given. A microchip implanted under the skin of an animal must comply with ISO 11784, ISO 11785.

3. Certificate of determination of the titer of antibodies against the rabies virus in the blood of an animal.

A blood test report for anti-rabies titration is obtained between 4 and 12 months after the appropriate vaccination.

4. Veterinary certificate Form 1 or Form 1-BET (for the CIS countries).

The form is issued by the state doctor of veterinary medicine no earlier than 3 days before the export of the animal abroad, after a clinical examination, in the presence of a veterinary passport with a mark of identification and a certificate of blood test .

5. International veterinary certificate for the animal.

Veterinary certificate for pets transported to the territory of the European Union for non-commercial purposes (in the language of the country of entry).

6. Certificate that the animal does not represent breeding value.

A certificate of the breeding value of the animal, indicating its estimated value (issued when leaving for permanent residence or for presentation upon request).

7. Licensed animal transport container.

From January 1, 2012, according to the requirements of the European Union, the animal can cross the border at least 3 months after the date of blood sampling for the analysis of antibodies to rabies. (However, in all countries this is the case, so you need to call the embassy of the country where you are going and clarify this fact).

Find out the conditions for importing animals into the country where you are going to travel on the website The European Commission